Thesis projects for IT engineering students and masters at the Department of Information Technology
This page has been restructured to conform to the Swedish pages
Administrative routines for the master thesis course
Structure of the pages
This page contains information about the start-up meeting, about what documents are required to start a thesis work and about the compulsory mid-course meeting. In addition, links to some course plans can be found here. For more detailed information about various topics, see the left side menu items.
Compulsory start-up meeting, before starting a thesis project
At the compulsory start-up meeting for thesis projects, you will receive all necessary and important information you need in order to start working on your thesis project. At this meeting, you learn about how to find thesis projects, how you get it registered, the requirements for starting, the requirements for approval, the supervision and reviewing of your thesis project and report, etc.
You must attend one of the compulsory start-up meetings (see below) before starting your thesis project. Be sure to do this well in advance of actually starting the thesis project. You are not required to have a project plan or project proposal completed to attend these meetings.
Please note that the compulsory start-up meeting IS NOT the same thing as the start of your thesis project. The start of the thesis project is the day you get your thesis specification and application approved by the examiner or thesis coordinator. Then your thesis project will be registered in Ladok.
Compulsory start-up meetings 2021
|Day and date||Time||Room|
|Tuesday October 5||10:15-12:00||https://uu-se.zoom.us/j/68025065266|
|Monday November 8||10:15-12:00||https://uu-se.zoom.us/j/64932397275|
Material presented at the start-up meeting,
- A record of your studies in order to show that you are allowed to enter the thesis project. The requirements are 240hp for engineering students and 30hp for master students. This relates to courses in your study program. The best way to get this is from Ladok.
- A specification of the thesis project that you have written together with your supervisor at a company or a research department.
- An application form that you and your supervisor have signed.
- The certificate showing that you have taken the compulsory start-up meeting
Note: To ensure that you can start your thesis in period 3 we need to have your application latest by December 10:th.
Note October 2021: In addition to the above students at the Master's Programmes have to apply for the thesis course via www.universityadmissions.se (or antagning.se).
We recommend that you do use an agreement form that regulates the responsibility between you and the company. For external projects see here. For internal projects, see here. We strongly recommend that you publish your thesis as soon as it's accepted, but if your thesis report unavoidably will contain confidential information that your supervisor wants to delay publication of for some time, you must additionally use the forms found here
When you have these documents, you contact the thesis coordinator. The coordinator will then find a subject reviewer for you, and make sure this person signs the form too. You can reach the thesis coordinator by email to .
Note 2020-08-17: Due to Covid-19, you don't have to hand in paper documents. You can scan the documents and send them by email.
Please note that the process of finding a reviewer may take some time, 2-3 weeks is not unusual from the point when you leave the form to the coordinator to the point in time when the project has been registered by the office. This is due to the fact that several persons are involved in finding a reviewer. You are allowed to suggest a reviewer and ask the professor but please consult email@example.com in the process.
There is an English summary of the requirements for thesis projects at Uppsala University. You might want to use these if you are planning to do your thesis projects outside Sweden.
Compulsory mid-course check-up
In the middle of the project, you are to meet your thesis reviewer for a mid-course check-up. During the check-up, you are expected to present your project, available results and plans for the rest of the project.
The purpose of the mid-course check-up is both to review your progress and to give you practice in presenting your work as preparation for the final presentation. It is important that you give a well prepared presentation where you describe and motivate your project in detail, starting with the basics. The feedback you get will then be helpful for you when preparing the final presentation.
How can I find examples of thesis reports from the dept. of IT?
Archived thesis reports can be found here.
Rules and hints
- Checklists: the work, before the presentation and finish.
- How to start a thesis project.
- The working process (what) and the roles (who) in a thesis project.
- The specification is the most important document when you start a thesis project
- How to write a report.
- How you present your thesis and oppose on some other thesis.
- How you conclude your thesis project and applies for a degree.
Collection of rules for the Engineering study programs. Valid from 2012-01-01.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp for IT Engineering students (New program)
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Computer Science.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Computer Science.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Scientific Computing.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Scientific Computing.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Human Computer Interaction.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Embedded Systems.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 45hp in Embedded Systems.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Image Analysis and Machine Learning.
- Here you will find the course plan for the Master Thesis Project, 30hp in Data Analysis.